Sales Applications Engineer (Southampton, UK)
If you are passionate about fibre optic technology and enjoy communicating about its’ benefits, then we might have the perfect role for you.
Fibercore is the global leader in the field of ‘specialty’ optical fibers. We are recognized as the go-to optical fiber supplier for high-end optical fiber products due to our consultative sales approach which aims to understand our customers’ applications and sell them the best possible product. Our innovative products are used in a diverse range of industrial sectors including: automotive, biomedical, aerospace, telecommunications, energy and fundamental research and can be found in products such as: driverless vehicles, surgical robots, aircraft stabilization and fiber lasers. We have a truly global sales approach where we export more than 95% of our production to around 50 countries Worldwide.
We are looking to recruit an individual who has theoretical and application knowledge of optical fibers. The successful candidate should have good planning and organizational skills, an inquisitive mindset and be a proactive, self-starter who is not afraid to get stuck into a challenge or ask questions when they don’t understand something. This full-time role sits within the Engineering and Sales Support Team, which acts as an agile problem-solving task force, bridging multiple departments, focusing on technical support of our customers, and ensuring that internal product engineering and production efforts are aligned with our customer needs.
The role would suit a fibre optics engineer with a desire to step across to a broader technical remit whilst gaining more commercial exposure, or a technical support engineer already embedded within a customer support role. Based at the company headquarters in Southampton and reporting to the Engineering and Sales Support Manager, this full-time role is responsible for:
Accelerating the sales of our products through technical interaction with the sales team and / or customers, you would be responsible for:
- Responding directly and indirectly to customer technical help requests via email, phone and face to face meetings;
- Helping select the most suitable optical fibre for the customers’ needs;
- Writing or assisting in writing appnotes, technotes, datasheets and other technical marketing material;
- Preparation of technical diagrams, e.g., 3D CAD, finite element analysis, and other visualisation material, e.g., 3D-printed models, to support sales account managers’ sales pitches and technical support;
Showing customers how to use our technology through existing know-how within the company and better understanding new applications areas through experimental proof and literature review, the responsibilities include:
- Conducting experimental tests on optical fibers and new products to support customer requests;
- Experimental and analytical work to identify customer problems or product performance issues, drilling down to root cause, suggesting corrective actions and presenting these to the customer as well as Fibercore's production or development teams.
- Building optical fibre assemblies such as spliced fibre arrays and sensor assemblies;
- Assisting with product lifecycle management, including creating and updating internal and customer facing specifications.
- Input on new product direction, providing insights on product developments based on customer application needs.
- Give insights and support implementation of QA/QC and production procedure improvements based on customer application needs.
To be considered for this position, we are looking for someone with a good university degree in an applied engineering discipline, physics or science-related subject. A higher degree and previous project-based experimental science experience would be advantageous.
Having the ability to problem solve, have an eye for detail, demonstrate critical thinking and identify viable solutions will be important, together with a strong technical and analytical ability to add value to customer projects. This would include being able to analyse and present data effectively.
As the role will involve interaction with different areas of the business, it will be important to have first-rate interpersonal skills and to be to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with our customers and colleagues.
Interested? If so, please send your CV/Resume and a covering letter to HR@fibercore.com, or fill out the form below.
With your agreement, we will hold your CV for up to 6 months, and you can see how we look after your data in our Applicant Privacy Notice.
If you know someone who hasn’t already applied for the role or worked here before and would like to recommend them under the employee referral scheme (FCL(HR)23), please get in touch.